IRP Registration

If you would like to apply for a new IRP account, you will have to provide the following documents:

  • Copy of your CDL or copy of driver CDL if applicant does not have a valid CDL and a copy of your DL
  • Copy of the Articles of Incorporation for your company (if you would like to be registered under a corporate name)
  • SS# (if individual) or EIN# (if Corporation or LLC)
  • Proof of ownership (Title, form ST-556 or Bill of Sale from a dealer)
  • HWY Use Tax (Form 2290) – if vehicle was purchased more than 60 days ago
  • Proof of address – you need to provide 4 documents with your name and current address on them, which cannot be older than 60 days: 
  • The acceptable documents are – CDL, phone, electrical, gas, water, cable, internet bills, lease agreement for an
    apartment/house, mortgage statement, real estate tax bill, insurance – car or truck (cannot be an ID card, must be a certificate, declaration page or a bill) and voter’s registration card
  • The phone bill is mandatory
  • Prospective employer – name, address, phone#, Safety Carrier DOT#, Safety Carrier TIN#

You can bring the documents to our office Monday thru Friday, 9 am thru 5 pm, and Saturday 10 am thru 1 pm, fax them at (847) 346-0531 or email them to [email protected].  

What is IRP?

The International Registration Plan (IRP) is a program for registering commercial vehicles traveling in multiple jurisdictions within the United States and Canada. It’s an agreement among U.S. states, the District of Columbia, and Canadian provinces, designed to promote and facilitate the interstate and international movement of commercial vehicles.

Under the IRP, commercial vehicles that operate across state or provincial lines are required to register with their base jurisdiction and pay fees based on the percentage of travel in each jurisdiction. This registration system simplifies the process for carriers operating across multiple jurisdictions by allowing them to obtain a single registration instead of having to register separately in each jurisdiction they operate.

The fees collected through the IRP are distributed among the jurisdictions based on the proportion of travel in each jurisdiction. This helps ensure that each jurisdiction receives appropriate revenue for maintaining its transportation infrastructure.

The IRP aims to streamline administrative processes, reduce paperwork, and facilitate the efficient movement of commercial vehicles while ensuring that jurisdictions receive appropriate revenues for road maintenance and improvements.

Why is it important?

  • Simplification for Carriers: The IRP simplifies the registration process for commercial carriers that operate across multiple jurisdictions. Instead of obtaining separate registrations in each jurisdiction they operate, carriers can obtain a single registration through their base jurisdiction, reducing administrative burden and paperwork.
  • Facilitates Interstate and International Commerce: Commercial vehicles are essential for interstate and international commerce. The IRP facilitates the movement of these vehicles by providing a streamlined registration process, which helps businesses operate more efficiently and cost-effectively.
  • Fair Distribution of Fees: The IRP ensures that fees collected from commercial carriers are fairly distributed among the jurisdictions where they operate based on the proportion of their travel in each jurisdiction. This helps ensure that jurisdictions receive adequate revenue to maintain and improve their transportation infrastructure.
  • Enforcement of Safety Regulations: Through the IRP, jurisdictions can enforce safety regulations by conducting audits and inspections of registered vehicles. This helps improve road safety by ensuring that commercial vehicles meet regulatory standards.
  • Promotion of Compliance: By requiring commercial carriers to register under the IRP, jurisdictions promote compliance with registration and tax requirements. This helps reduce tax evasion and ensures that carriers contribute to the upkeep of the roads they use.

Overall, the IRP plays a crucial role in facilitating the movement of commercial vehicles, promoting compliance with regulations, and ensuring fair distribution of fees among jurisdictions. This helps support economic activity, promote safety, and maintain transportation infrastructure.

irp registration

Penalties: What happens without IRP?

  1. Fines: Typically, the driver or operator of the commercial vehicle may face fines for operating without proper registration. These fines can vary widely depending on the jurisdiction and the severity of the violation.
  2. Vehicle Impoundment: In some cases, particularly if the violation is severe or if there are repeated offenses, authorities may impound the commercial vehicle until proper registration is obtained or until fines and penalties are paid.
  3. Suspension of Operations: Regulatory authorities may also suspend the operations of the carrier or the vehicle until proper registration is obtained and any fines or penalties are resolved. This can result in significant disruptions to business operations and financial losses.
  4. Points on Commercial Driver’s License: If the driver is found to be operating without proper registration, they may receive points on their commercial driver’s license (CDL) or face other penalties that could affect their ability to operate commercial vehicles in the future.
  5. Legal Action: In addition to fines and administrative penalties, drivers or operators may also face legal action, such as civil lawsuits or criminal charges, depending on the circumstances and the laws of the jurisdiction.

It’s important for commercial vehicle operators to ensure that they have proper registration and comply with all applicable regulations to avoid these penalties and maintain the legality of their operations.


The validity period for International Registration Plan (IRP) registration typically follows the calendar year, meaning it is valid from January 1st to December 31st of a given year. However, the specific validity dates may vary slightly depending on the jurisdiction or the date the registration is processed. Most states have different validity dates.

It’s important for carriers to ensure that their IRP registration is renewed annually before the expiration date to avoid any penalties or disruptions to their operations. Renewal deadlines and processes may vary by jurisdiction, so carriers should be aware of the requirements in the jurisdictions where they operate.

Turning Experience into a Thriving Business:

In 2005, driven by a deep desire to make a difference, Vessela launched Prospect Licensing & Consulting, Inc. Initially, she juggled her roles as a trucking company owner and consultant. However, in 2007, she dedicated herself full-time to her licensing and consulting venture. 

She expanded her business from a modest one-room office to accommodate a growing team of reliable professionals.

Vessela Barzeva personal photo; get to know us



Services: What do they include?

We provide comprehensive assistance to trucking companies and independent owner-operators with various aspects of International Registration Plan (IRP) registration and compliance. Here’s an elaboration on the types of services we provide:

  • IRP Account Setup: we help clients set up their initial IRP accounts, ensuring all necessary paperwork and documentation are completed accurately and submitted to the appropriate authorities. This includes assisting clients in determining their base jurisdiction for registration purposes.
  • Adding Additional Vehicles: As clients expand their fleets or acquire new vehicles, we assist them in adding these vehicles to their existing IRP accounts. This involves completing the required registration forms and ensuring compliance with jurisdictional requirements.
  • Transfer of Registration: When clients need to transfer an existing IRP registration from one vehicle to another, we facilitate this process. This may involve updating registration details, submitting transfer paperwork, and ensuring seamless continuity of registration.
  • Renewal Assistance: we provide timely reminders and assistance to clients for renewing their IRP registrations each year. This includes managing renewal paperwork, updating registration information as needed, and ensuring compliance with renewal deadlines to avoid penalties.
  • Compliance Consulting: we offer expert guidance and consulting services to help clients understand and comply with IRP regulations and requirements. This may include advising clients on jurisdictional rules, maintaining accurate records, and addressing compliance issues as they arise.
  • Customer Support and Representation: we serve as a dedicated point of contact for clients, providing ongoing customer support and representation for all their IRP-related needs. This includes addressing inquiries, resolving issues with regulatory authorities, and advocating on behalf of clients as needed.
  • Training and Education: we offer training and educational resources to help clients stay informed about IRP regulations, compliance best practices, and updates within the industry.

Overall, we serve as a trusted partner for trucking companies and independent owner-operators, offering comprehensive assistance with all aspects of IRP registration, compliance, and ongoing support. By leveraging our expertise and resources, clients can streamline their operations, maintain regulatory compliance, and focus on their core business activities.